Monday, July 21, 2008

Adventures in Eco-Savvy

A few years back, a friend of mine mused, "I'd cut down our family's carbon footprint, if only I could find the time."

We were discussing our mutual decision to go back to our demanding careers shortly after giving birth to our first children.  I'll admit - I didn't get it.  What did free time have to do with our carbon footprints?  Was there really any choice in how we consumed?  Wasn't this just the life we'd signed on for?

With the passing of time - and my transition to being, despite all plans to the contrary, a stay-at-home mom - I had my eureka moment.  My husband and I have taken steps in the past year to become significantly more eco-savvy.  Even in the midst of this crazy, madcap, time-stretched modern existence, it can be done.  And once the ball starts rolling, it's easy to keep on going, getting greener and greener and greener.

If we keep this up, instead of Mrs. Fern Greene, I guess I'll have to be known as Mrs. Emerald Kale.

No comments: